Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fire!!

On July 1, while we were all in California, my dad got a call from his secretary saying, "I don't want to panic you, but your house is on fire."  We have since decided there is absolutely no good way to say that sentence.  As I mentioned in a previous post, our family was at Six Flags when my brother called and told me what was going on.  Bryan immediately called his dad who headed over there and sent us the following pictures:
It turns out, one of the neighbors across the alley, was outside helping another neighbor when he smelled the smoke.  Even though he couldn't see the fire or smoke yet, he went ahead and called 911. They asked him to go back outside and check again.  When he did, he saw flames shoot out of a vent in the roof.  The firemen arrived shortly thereafter and got to work.  They did a great job containing the fire to the attic, but unfortunately, the weight of the water caused 9 ceilings to collapse.  Mom and Dad flew home the next day to start with the clean up.
In addition to the stress of the fire, was the stress that both the cats "disappeared."  Comet was found two days after the fire, but Moonbeam has been missing for much longer.  Today is 8 days since the fire, and I had not planned on going back over to help today.  However, midmorning mom called needing support.  I took the girls to be with Bryan at the office and headed to the house.  I prayed the whole way over there.  I prayed for strength, and for God's guidance, and very specifically for Moonbeam to be found today.  As I was praying, I had the radio on KLOVE, and I suddenly noticed the lyrics to the song that was playing,

"Everybody falls sometimes

Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think it's more than you can take
But you are stronger, stronger than you know
Don't you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining



I've seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn't ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I've seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That's what faith can do"


This is the song "What Faith Can Do" by Kutless.  As it was playing, I could feel God speaking to my heart saying, "You have faith... Well, I've got this."  Immediately after that song finished, "All the People Said Amen" played.  It was like the exclamation point to the previous statement.  That song was immediately followed by "Hold Me."  This is the second verse and chorus:
"Well Ya, took my day and You flipped it around

Calmed the tidal wave and put my feet on the ground
Forever in my heart, always on my mind
It's crazy how I think about You all of the time
And just when I think I'm bout to figure You out
You make me wanna sing and shout



Oo, I love the way You hold me, by my side You'll always be
You take each and everyday, make it special in some way
I love the way You hold me, in Your arms i'll always be
You take each and everyday, make it special in some way
I love You more than the words in my brain can express
I can't imagine even loving You less
Lord, I love the way You hold me"

Talk about feeling God's presence and comfort.  As soon as I got to the house, I looked up what songs had just played and took a picture on my phone so I wouldn't forget.

I spent the rest of the morning helping mom out around the house as needed.  The clean up crew was finishing up what they needed to do for the time being, and they packed up and left around noon.  Shortly thereafter, I heard a meow.  It was Moonbeam standing on the steps of the basement.  When we started to approach her, she quickly ran back down the steps to hide.  Mom, however, was able to coax her back out and get her in the carrier.  Our God is an Awesome God!!!  I don't think I have ever "heard" God speak to me like that, in fact I probably doubted it happened much anymore.  But, I definitely felt God like never before.  There is still much to do with dealing with the aftermath of this fire, but God is still and will always be in control.  He will get us through this.

No comments: